The CAREC Railway Working Group (RWG), under the Transport Sector Coordinating Committee (TSCC), discussed issues facing railways in the region and agreed on priority actions to develop the CAREC Railway Strategy 2030.
The RWG was formed after the 14th CAREC TSCC Meeting in April 2015 in order to guide the development of a CAREC railway strategy, which will contain immediate and midterm actions to steer the development of railways in the CAREC region.
The first meeting of the RWG aimed to
- discuss the main issues facing railways in the CAREC region,
- review progress toward development of the CAREC railway strategy, and
- agree on priority actions moving forward for the full development of the strategy.
Participants learned from the Japanese experience in railway reforms and visited a freight rail terminal in Japan to observe efficient multimodal transport of goods.
The meeting was co-organized and sponsored by the Asian Development Bank Institute and the Asian Development Bank, supported by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure,Transport and Tourism of Japan, Japan International Cooperation Agency, the World Bank, International Union of Railways, Organisation for Cooperation in Railways, International Federation of Freight Forwarders Association, East Japan Railway Company, and Japan Freight Railway Company.
- Afghanistan National Railway Plan and Way Forward
- Presentation by Azerbaijan Railways CSJC
- Railway: Connecting China with the World
- Presentation by the Ministry for Investments and Development, Republic of Kazakhstan
- Railway Transport Facilitation in Mongolia
- Railway Projects of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Presentation by the Ministry of Railways, Pakistan
- Presentation by Tajikistan
- Advance Practices in Establishment of Effective Railway Corridors
- CAREC Railways 2030: Making Rail a Mode of Choice
- Towards Enhanced Interoperability (Presentation by UIC)
- Presentation by OSJD
- Transfer of Technical Knowledge in Railways (Presentation by East Japan Railway Company)
- Freight Rail Overview and Freight Management in Japan
- Overview of Sumidagawa Freight Station
- Roundtable Session 3 Group 1: Border Crossing Procedures
- Roundtable Session 3 Group 2: Tariff Agreements and Designated Rail Corridors
- Streamlining Activities at Border-Crossing Points (BCPs)