Energy sector focal points of CAREC member countries, officials from energy ministries and agencies, and representatives from multilateral development partners discussed
- updates on the deliverables of the Energy Sector Work Plan (EWP) 2016-2020 and
- next steps to encourage investments in the energy sector.
Representatives from Pakistan and Afghanistan presented updates on projects focused on developing the Central Asia-South Asia Energy Corridor, namely, CASA-1000 Project and the CASA and TUTAP Power Interconnection Projects, respectively.
The World Bank presented results of the Study on Regional Power Trade and highlighted that efficient trade brings significant benefits to the region.
The Asian Development Bank (ADB), on the other hand, presented results of the Study for Power Sector Financing Road Map, which identified the estimated investment requirement of CAREC member countries from 2017-2023.
Country representatives presented their learnings from the previous CAREC Workshop on New Technologies and the next steps for future capacity building activities were identified.
The discussions also highlighted the significance of water resource management, the impact of climate change in the energy sector, and the importance of new technology in bridging the energy supply-demand gap in the region.
The current Energy Work Plan focuses on six key elements: (i) developing the East-Central Asia-South Asia regional energy market (E-CASAREM), (ii) promoting regional electricity trade and harmonization, (iii) managing energy-water linkages, (iv) mobilizing financing for priority projects, (v) capacity development and knowledge management, and (vi) promoting and prioritizing clean energy technologies.
(Click here to learn more about CAREC initiatives in the energy sector.)
- CASA and TUTAP Power Interconnection Projects
- CASA-1000 Project Central Asia-South Asia Regional Power Connectivity
- Regional Power Trade Unrealized Benefits for Central Asia for 2010-2014
- TA-8727 REG Study for Power Sector Financing Road Map Mobilizing Funds for Building Energy Assets
- Summary of Presentations CAREC Energy Workshop on New Technologies
- CAREC RETA for New Technologies
- ESCC Investment Forum
- Renewable Energy Resource Mapping in Pakistan
- [VIDEO] Al Gore: The Case for Optimism on Climate Change
- Mid-Term Review of CAREC 2020
- The Issues of Technical Regulations in UPS CA
- Energy Regulation (Presentation by National Electric Power Regulatory Authority)
- Digital Smart Metering Devices
- Implementation of Automated Metering and Control System (Republic of Uzbekistan)
- Smart Grids, Smart Meters, and Renewables
- [VIDEO] Rechargeable Rides (Philippines)