The workshop, co-organized by Asian Development Bank (ADB) and CAREC Institute, follows two important milestones affecting global and regional trade—the entry into force of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA) in February 2017 and the endorsement of a new long-term strategy CAREC 2030 in October 2017.
On Day 1, participants reported on their respective country’s progress and readiness in implementing the WTO TFA and identified capacity constraints and areas where priority technical assistance is needed. Experts from ADB, WTO, World Customs Organization (WCO), UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific and other development partners (including Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and Korea Customs Service) shared their knowledge and existing support on TFA implementation.
On Day 2, participants deliberated on the approach and scope of the proposed CAREC Consolidated Trade Agenda (CCTA) under the CAREC 2030 strategy, as the first consultation on the development of CCTA. The workshop gathered perspectives from CAREC countries and development partners on the overall objectives, principles, elements, and timeline of the CCTA.
A total of 25 participants comprising senior-level representatives from ministries of commerce, economy, finance, trade, agriculture, and foreign affairs of CAREC countries and development partners attended the workshop.
- WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement and Consolidated Trade Agenda
- The Second Global Survey on Trade Facilitation and Paperless Trade Implementation—Results of Asia Pacific Countries
- Assessment of Readiness to Implement the WTO TFA in CAREC
- WCO Support for the WTO TFA Implementation (Mercator Program)
- Breakout Session: Feedback on ADB Assessment of Readiness to Implement WTO TFA
- Synthesis of WTO TFA Technical Assistance Needs and Support for CAREC
- CAREC 2030 Strategy—Connecting the Region for Shared and Sustainable Development
- Overview of CAREC Trade Facilitation Program
- Breakout Session: Developing CAREC Consolidated Trade Agenda
- CAREC Consolidated Trade Agenda—Proposed Elements and Regional Approach