Ministers from the eight countries participating in the CAREC Program
- adopted a Joint Ministerial Statement that highlights accomplishments of the Program in recent years, outlines a vision for the Program to 2018, and defines the 2008 work program;
- endorsed the Report of Senior Officials to the Ministerial Conference, which provides a detailed accounting of the Program’s progress and activities in 2007;
- endorsed the CAREC Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy, a 10-year strategy to develop six transport and trade corridors linking CAREC countries to each other and to major international markets; and
- endorsed the CAREC Institute Prospectus, which outlines the mission, purpose, goals and plans for establishment of the Institute.
ADB president Haruhiko Kuroda emphasized the considerable progress the Program has made since its adoption of the Comprehensive Action Plan in 2006.
Mr. Kuroda noted that endorsement of the Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy and the CAREC Institute Prospectus would significantly advance the creation of the “regional perspective” envisioned at the 5th Ministerial Conference.
“I believe there is now a consensus in this region on the importance of regional cooperation to sustainable economic growth,” Mr. Kuroda said. “When we see the region and its opportunities from a common perspective and agree to focus our resources and energies on a common agenda, we will make tremendous progress.”
World Bank Vice President Shigeo Katsu stated a collective view on behalf of the CAREC partner multilateral institutions on recent progress and the need to maintain the Program’s focus on specific actions and results.
ADB vice president Liqun Jin co-chaired the conference.
- ADB Assists in Rehabilitation of Road Network in Central Asia to Foster Trade
- Connectivity, Regional Cooperation Key to Growth in Central Asia and Beyond
- Central Asia Set to Take Major Step Forward in Regional Cooperation
- $18 Billion Plan to Build New ‘Silk Roads’ through Central Asia
- Joint Ministerial Statement
- Opening Remarks by ADB President Haruhiko Kuroda
- Keynote Speech by His Excellency Mr. Emomali Rahmon, President of the Republic of Tajikistan
- Report of Senior Officials to the 6th Ministerial Conference
- CAREC Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy
- CAREC Institute Prospectus
- Collective View of the Multilateral Institutions
- 01 Regional Economic Outlook Economic Developments, Prospects, and Policy Issues in Central Asia
- 02 Regional Cooperation Strategy in Energy Sector in CAREC Countries
- 03 Strengthen the Cooperation of Commercial Chambers and Promote the Regional Economic Development of Central Asia (Presentation)
- 04 Strengthen the Cooperation of Commercial Chambers and Promote the Regional Economic Development of Central Asia (Paper)
- 05 CAREC Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy
- 06 CAREC Institute Prospectus
- 07 Central Asia as the Hub of Eurasian Economic Integration-Implications for CAREC (Presentation)
- 08 Central Asia as the Hub of Eurasian Economic Integration-Implications for CAREC (Paper)
- 09 Report of Senior Officials to the 6th Ministerial Conference