The project has five components: A. Road reconstruction and improvement
- Reconstruction of about 215 kilometers (km) of the paved roads between Erdenesant and Arvaikheer;
- reconstruction and improvement of all-weather gravel surface of about 86 km of the earth road between Kharkhorin and Tosontsengel;
- reconstruction and improvement of all-weather gravel surface of about 93 km of the earth road between Arvaikheer and Khovd; and
- provision of consulting services for supervision of road works.
- Staff training for the departments of Roads and Roads Transport, with emphasis on project management and supervision, road safety, vehicle inspection system, and environment management.
- Development and implementation of a road safety program for Mongolia's road transport network, including a vehicle inspection system.
- Development and implementation of a road maintenance plan, including provisions of road maintenance equipment.
- Implementation of a comprehensive financial accounting system for Mongolian Railways to facilitate better utilization of its financial resources, including provision of technical assistance.
The project will improve accessibility to remote central and western regions of Mongolia by providing basic road access, improving utilization of the railway system, reducing road accidents, and improving air quality.
- About 215 km paved road and about 179 km all-weather gravel surface reconstructed and improved, and project supervision provided
- Department of Roads and Department of Roads Transport staff trained
- Road safety program developed and implemented
- Road maintenance plan developed and implemented
- Comprehensive financial accounting system for Mongolian Railways implemented
|Funding Agency||Amount (USD millions)||Notes|
|Government of Mongolia||8.84|
|Nordic Development Fund||6.7|