East–West Highway Improvement Project
The project includes
- improvement of the 89-kilometer (km) Yevlakhâ-Ganja and 38 km Qazakh-Georgia border sections of the East-West Highway;
- improvement of 10 local roads of about 65 km to enhance access to the highway;
- institutional strengthening for the road subsector, covering the areas of road maintenance, axle-load control, road safety, and project management and implementation; and
- cross-border facilitation between Azerbaijan and Georgia at the Red Bridge by addressing institutional and physical barriers.
The project will help accelerate socioeconomic development in west Azerbaijan (Agstafa, Ganja, Goranboy, Khanlar, Qazakh, and Yevlakh) and strengthen regional cooperation by improving transport efficiency in the East-West Highway and selected local roads.
- Two-lane paved Yevlakhâ-Ganja and Qazakh-Georgian border sections improved.
- 10 local roads in the project improved.
- Institutional capacity of the road subsector strengthened.
- Cross-border movement of freight and passengers at the Red Bridge border point improved.
|Funding Agency||Amount (USD millions)||Notes|
|Asian Development Bank||52|
|Islamic Development Bank||10.4|
|Saudi Fund for Development||11|
|Government of Azerbaijan||19.8|