Connecting CAREC Countries and People
- More than $19 billion invested in 106 transport projects along the six CAREC corridor routes
- Infrastructure work focused on construction and upgrade of roads and rail lines
- Further measures aim to overcome nonphysical barriers to cross-border movement of goods, vehicles and people
14th Transport Sector Coordinating Committee Meeting
Participants reviewed progress under the CAREC Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy 2020 and discussed ways to rejuvenate railways and boost connectivity between member countries. Read more
The CAREC region is at the heart of the rapidly growing and integrating Eurasian continent. CAREC countries are working together to improve the region's transport infrastructure and reduce the cost of trade across regions.
The CAREC Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy presents a shared vision of transport and trade facilitation development across the region to 2017, identifying three transport goals:
- establish competitive transport corridors across the CAREC region;
- facilitate efficient movement of people and goods across borders; and
- develop safe, people-friendly transport systems.
The Strategy's implementation action plan details both physical and nonphysical investments designed to improve the region's competitiveness, and expand trade—both among CAREC economies, regionally, and globally.
A midterm review of the strategy and action plan has been completed, financed by an ADB technical assistance. The review was conducted in two phases. In phase 1, a comprehensive stock-take assessed progress of the strategy and action plan (2008-2017). Based on the outcome of phase 1, the strategy was updated in phase 2 by the end of 2013, retitled as Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy (TTFS) 2020.
[Transport-related materials can be accessed at Senior Officials' Meetings and Transport Sector Coordinating Committee (TSCC) meetings.]
Almaty-Bishkek Regional Road Rehabilitation Project
The first CAREC-related project in the Kyrgyz Republic, the project upgraded the road between two bustling cities--the capital city Bishkek in Kyrgyz and the commercial center Almaty in Kazakhstan. Read more
Creating CAREC Corridors
CAREC focuses investment and other activities on the development of six competitive transport corridors that link north, south, east, and west through the pivot of Central Asia. The corridors reflect trade flow patterns and will speed the movement of people and goods across the region. Critically, they also connect the mainly landlocked CAREC countries to wider regional and global networks.
|Corridor 1:||Europe-East Asia|
|Corridor 2:||Mediterranean-East Asia|
|Corridor 3:||Russian Federation-Middle East and South Asia|
|Corridor 4:||Russian Federation-East Asia|
|Corridor 5:||East Asia-Middle East and South Asia|
|Corridor 6:||Europe-Middle East and South Asia|
Key Goals of the CAREC Transport Sector
- 7,800 km of expressways or national highways built or improved by 2020
- 60% of CAREC road corridors maintained to an international roughness index of less than 4 meters per kilometer by 2020
- 1,800 km of new railways completed by 2020; 2,000 km of railway track renovation, electrification, or signalization completed by 2020