What is CAREC?
- CAREC brings together a partnership of 11 countries with a shared vision of ‘Good Neighbors, Good Partners, and Good Prospects’.
- CAREC’s vision is achieved by working together to create a dynamic network of regional transport corridors from east to west and north to south.
- CAREC is practical project-based regional cooperation at work.
CAREC multilateral institution partners
- The six CAREC transport corridors are building a truly global future for the region, linking markets in northern People's Republic of China to Azerbaijan in the Caucasus and further to Europe, and from Kazakhstan to Pakistan's warm-water ports of Karachi, Gwadar, and beyond.
- Seamless connectivity is moving people and their businesses along the CAREC corridors faster, speeding up passage, and reducing the costs of crossing borders.
- CAREC corridors improve access to essential services and job opportunities - ultimately ensuring a better quality of life for all people of the CAREC region.
- CAREC 2020 is a road map of effective regional cooperation that will expand trade and increase the competitiveness of the CAREC countries to operate in the global market arena.
- CAREC's six multilateral institution partners facilitate financing for regional projects that benefit the entire CAREC region, and also ensure the quality of investments made by providing strategic and technical advice.
- The CAREC Institute is a provider of training and of web-based information in transport, trade, and energy. It helps CAREC members learn from each other and share experience in regional cooperation.
Latest CAREC Results
- As of 2015, more than 27.7 billion invested in in transport, trade, and energy projects
- About 809 kilometers (km) of expressways or national highways built, upgraded or improved in 2015 (93% of 7,800 km targeted for construction or improvement by 2020 achieved)
- 140 kilometers of railways in Uzbekistan improved by electrification during 2015
- 13 projects in other transport subsectors (2 ports, 2 logistics centers, 3 border crossing points, and 6 civil aviation projects) are being implemented
- Application of a geographic information system (GIS) to facilitate planning, monitoring, and managing of CAREC corridor-based transport facilities piloted starting with investment priority projects in Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Technical assistance initiated to facilitate knowledge sharing among CAREC countries
- Development of a regional road safety strategy for integration into CAREC road projects
- Joint customs control between the PRC and Mongolia pilot-tested
- Customs processes being automated in most CAREC countries
- Corridor performance measurement and monitoring instituted--and trade facilitation indicators developed--to assess and evaluate corridor efficiency
- 21-member CAREC Federation of Carrier and Forwarder Associations (CFCFA) active throughout the region
- $584 million mobilized by CAREC since 2002 for 15 projects to support growth in trade
- Average border crossing time for road shortened to 9.3 hours in 2015, a 6% improvement year-on-year. Likewise, average border crossing time for railway shortened to 27%, a 16% improvement year-on-year. These improvements were due to shorter customs processes at border crossing points (BCPs)
- Average cost of crossing a BCP by road reduced by 16%, attributed to collaboration between customs administrations in Mongolia and the People's Republic of China. On the other hand, average cost of crossing by rail increased by 40% due to higher carriage transfer fees
- 1,150 km of transmission lines installed or upgraded in 2014
- Generation capacity increased to 600 megawatts (MW)
- 520MW in rehabilitated generation capacity
- 4,200 new substations installed; 5,200 substations upgraded
- Technical support activities assessing methodological and technical barriers facing power trade in Central Asia implemented
- Increased coordination and collaboration between the Trade Policy Coordinating Committee and development partners to improve trade openness in CAREC member countries
- Six of nine policy action items completed by majority of member countries
- Existing sanitary and phytosanitary and technical barriers to trade measures in place across member countries, and existing bottlenecks hindering expansion of trade in services, assessed through a stocktaking exercise
CAREC Key Documents
|CAREC 2020: A Strategic Framework for the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Program 2011-2020||English | РУССКИЙ|
|CAREC 2020: Midterm Review||English | РУССКИЙ|
|The Wuhan Action Plan||English | РУССКИЙ | 中文|
|Comprehensive Action Plan||English | РУССКИЙ | 中文|
|Transport and Trade Facilitation|
|CAREC Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy||English| РУССКИЙ|
|CAREC Corridor Performance Measurement and Monitoring Annual Report 2015||English|
|Implementation Action Plan for the Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy||English | РУССКИЙ|
|CAREC Brief: Transport Sector||English | РУССКИЙ|
|CAREC Brief: Trade Facilitation||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Transport Sector Progress Report and Work Plan 2016–2018||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Trade Facilitation Sector Progress Report and Work Plan (Oct 2015 - Sep 2016)||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Commitment to Road Safety in CAREC: 10 Actions to Make CAREC Corridors Safer||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Trade Policy Strategic Action Plan for 2013-2017
||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Strategy for Regional Cooperation in the Energy Sector of CAREC Countries||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Strategy and Work Plan (2016-2020) for Regional Cooperation in the Energy Sector of CAREC Countries
|Energy Action Plan Framework||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Energy Action Plan Framework (2010-2012) Completion Report||English | РУССКИЙ | 中文|
|CAREC Brief: Energy Sector||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Energy Sector Progress Report (October 2016)||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Economic Corridor Development|
|Operationalizing Economic Corridors in Central Asia: A Case Study of the Almaty–Bishkek Corridor||English | РУССКИЙ|
|Growing Together: Almaty–Bishkek Corridor Investment Framework||English | РУССКИЙ|
|CAREC Institute 2012-2017: Strategic Knowledge Framework||English | РУССКИЙ | 中文|
|CAREC Institute Assessment||English | РУССКИЙ|
|CAREC Institute Progress Report (October 2016)||English | РУССКИЙ|